Bring European Maritime Day to your country
The 2019 European Maritime Day conference will take place in Lisbon, Portugal. But there is not only one EMD. In parallel, a series of local EMD events are organised across Europe. This enables the many European regions with a maritime culture to join in the celebrations and highlight the vital role of the seas and oceans. During EMD 2018, 73 events took place around Europe, making a record in EMD history!
To join, all you need is an event in any EU country, or any neighbouring non-EU country, related to the sea and held between 1 April and 30 June 2019. If you are organising such an event, consider making your event a European Maritime Day event.
What's in it for me?
We stand ready to support your event in various ways that will increase its resonance and prestige.
- You will be able to add the "EMD" brand to your event, letting your event into the wider EMD family and giving it a European dimension.
- You will receive from us a number of EMD promotional items to distribute to your participants.
- Your event will be advertised at the EMD Conference in Lisbon (16 & 17 May 2019) and on the website of the European commission.
- We will support your promotional activity on social media: all you have to do is use the official hashtag #EMDinMyCountry and tag us (on Facebook: @EUmaritimefish; on Twitter: @EU_Mare). If you are on Instagram, post your best pictures or short videos and don’t forget to use the hashtag #EMDinMyCountry followed by your national flag. If you follow the hashtag on Instagram, you will be able to interact with other EMD in My Country event organisers. If you are setting up a Facebook event, add our page as co-host, we will gladly accept and your event will figure among the official DG MARE’s event.
How to organise your own EMD In MY Country event
Organisers may be national, regional or local authorities; academic or research institutes; universities; schools, nautical education schools; Non-Governmental Organisations; port authorities, maritime museums, clusters, consultants, businesses; aquaria; theatres, arts centres; nautical sports clubs; FLAGs, RTD projects, fishermen, and so on.
Apply using our form before 15 February 2019. Provide the title, date and location of your event, its target audience and a short description of how it addresses the maritime theme, how it is promoted and the web link to the event. If your event meets the two conditions (sea theme and timing) it will be accepted as a "European Maritime Day In My Country" event.
What kind of event?
Eligible activities may include [The list is not exhaustive]:
- Beach-cleaning initiatives
- Guided tours of cities and ports
- Workshops, conferences, seminars, exhibitions on maritime themes
- Eco-tours and walks in areas with significant maritime heritage (cultural, environmental), excursions by boat
- Visits to maritime museums or former ships, shipyards, port facilities.
- Information activities on maritime skills or maritime research projects
- Information activities on sustainable coastal tourism
- Information activities on sustainable waste management (eg recycling of fishing gears)
- Sailing/surfing/kite surfing lessons for children, sailing awareness campaigns
- Reading clubs, art contests, art exhibitions, photo competitions, dance performances, street shows, urban games, stand-up performances, theatrical plays, concerts – as long as the sea is the main theme
- Education and artistic activities for school children
- Labs for pupils where they learn how the ships are built and how to create their own prototypes of boats
- Events promoting plastic free life
- Marine camps for teenagers
- Any other activity for the public with the sea as a central theme and held between April and June 2019.
European Atlas of the Seas
Consider including a presentation of the European Atlas of the Seas, in your local event. It is an interactive tool, with lots of interesting maps and information about our oceans and seas. All you need is a screen, a mouse and a connection to the internet. All the necessary information on how to use the Atlas is available on the help page. In addition, a special webinar will be organised by the European Commission (DG MARE) on 20 March 2019 for all the organisers who would like to use the Atlas during their activity/event.
EMD logos, print out EMD posters and leaflets - Promotional material
If you have any questions please contact us.