Not just one EMD: Bringing European Maritime Day to Your Country
Every year up to one thousand European maritime professionals from both the public sector and the corporate world flock to a hosting port city to discuss the latest news in maritime development and shape future action. The 2018 edition will take place on the Black Sea, in the coastal city of Burgas, Bulgaria.
But there is not just one EMD. A series of local EMD events are also organised all over Europe for the public at large, so that the many European regions with a maritime culture can join in the celebrations and highlight the vital role of the seas and oceans for our life and for the economy.
Public interest and activism about the challenges to our seas and oceans have been rising steadily in recent years, and understandably so has attendance to the local EMD events. The fact that these events often have a "fun and game" component for a younger public only adds to their appeal and to their effectiveness in spreading the message.
70 events around Europe
What kind of event?
- Beach-cleaning initiatives
- Environmental actions
- Guided tours of cities and ports
- Workshops, conferences, seminars, exhibitions on maritime themes
- Eco-tours and walks in areas with significant maritime heritage (cultural, environmental), excursions by boat
- Visits to maritime museums or former ships, shipyards, port facilities
- Information activities on maritime skills or maritime research projects
- Information activities on sustainable coastal tourism
- Information activities on sustainable waste management (eg recycling of fishing gears)
- Sailing/surfing/kite surfing lessons for children, sailing awareness campaigns
- Reading clubs, art contests, art exhibitions, photo competitions, dance performances, street shows, urban games, stand-up performances, theatrical plays, concerts – as long as the sea is the main theme
- Education and artistic activities for school children
- University or school projects
- Marine camps for teenagers
If you have any questions please contact us.