The European Maritime Day (EMD) was officially created on 20 May 2008 where the President of the European Parliament Hans-Gert Pöttering, Council President Janez Janša, and Commission President José Manuel Barroso signed a Joint Tripartite Declaration establishing it.
EMD is celebrated annually across Europe around the 20 May to raise the visibility of maritime sectors and support an integrated approach to maritime affairs.
The main event is the conference held in a different region with a different theme each year. This platform welcomes Europe's growing maritime community, with industry professionals from across the EU joining policymaker to discuss, debate and exchange best practices. Participants come from ports, shipping industries, clusters, environmental associations, trade unions, scientific and research institutions, education, and local, regional, national and European authorities, amongst others.
The conference includes plenary and thematic sessions (with the participation of high level and key-experts) as well as workshops that are self-organised by interested stakeholders. The conference regularly attracts more than 1000 maritime stakeholders for a unique, creative and motivating experience.
- Cork, Ireland in 2020
- Den Helder, The Netherlands in 2021
- Ravenna, Italy in 2022
- Brest, France in 2023
- Svendborg, Denmark in 2024
- Burgas 2018: A Blue Growth Initiative for Research and Innovation in the Black Sea
- Poole 2017: The Future of our Seas. The European Maritime Day celebrated its tenth anniversary.
- Turku 2016: Investing in blue growth – smart and sustainable solutions
- Piraeus 2015: Ports and Coasts, Gateways to Maritime Growth
- Bremen 2014: Innovation driving Blue Growth
- Valletta 2013: Coastal Development and Sustainable Maritime Tourism
- Gothenburg 2012: Sustainable Growth from the Oceans, Seas and Coasts
- Gdansk 2011: Maritime Policy: Putting People First
- Gijón 2010: How to foster innovation?
- Rome 2009: Integrated Maritime Policy and the contribution of maritime clusters
- Brussels 2008: A regional approach to the implementation of Maritime Policy
More information about all the past events is available on the Maritime Forum website