At the heart of European Maritime Day is a 2-day conference. High level plenary sessions including inspirational speakers and leadership exchanges and stakeholders’ workshops attract delegates and experts from across Europe and beyond.
European Maritime Day 2021 is going hybrid and we are planning a mix of digital and physical formats. Most probably a limited number of participants will be able to attend the conference and it will be easier than ever to join the event, from anywhere in Europe. While plenary sessions on maritime policy will take place in Den Helder and will be livestreamed, most stakeholders’ workshops will be run virtually via video conferencing (Zoom or similar tool).
European Maritime Day 2021 takes place in Den Helder, a place with a unique maritime character
- traditional fishing harbour/community
- Royal Naval base since Napoleon times
- offshore energy port since the early 1970s
- home base for the Netherlands Coastguard
- airport for offshore helicopter operations
- Royal Naval Airport, base of the NH 90 helicopters
- sea and ocean oriented research institutions
- education for working at sea
- Wadden, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Willemsoord is a large former Naval base of the Royal Netherlands Navy in Den Helder.