EMD 2021, a virtual conference
At the core of European Maritime Day is a 2-day conference. High-level plenary sessions including inspirational speakers, leadership exchanges and stakeholders’ workshops attract experts and stakeholders from across Europe and beyond.
European Maritime Day this year took place virtually from Den Helder, The Netherlands on 20 and 21 May 2021. It was easier than ever to join the event, from anywhere in Europe. The plenary sessions and the pitch stages of EMD 2021 were broadcast from Den Helder “EMD studio”, where moderators and key speakers connected remotely with other speakers. Registered participants attended these sessions via webstreaming. The stakeholders’ workshops were interactive and ran virtually via video conferencing (Zoom or similar tool).
European Maritime Day 2021 takes place in Den Helder, a place with a unique maritime character
- traditional fishing harbour/community
- Royal Naval base since Napoleon times
- offshore energy port since the early 1970s
- home base for the Netherlands Coastguard
- airport for offshore helicopter operations
- Royal Naval Airport, base of the NH 90 helicopters
- sea and ocean oriented research institutions
- education for working at sea
- Wadden, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Willemsoord is a large former Naval base of the Royal Netherlands Navy in Den Helder.