Project leader – The European Commission's Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
Project execution – The Joint Research Centre, Knowledge Production, unit D2 - Water and Marine Resources.
- October 2007 – communication Integrated Maritime Policy in the European Union COM(2007) 575, including the decision to launch a European atlas of the seas
- 2008 and 2009 – conceptual work, set up of infrastructure and architecture, data collection and development of map services and text
- May 2010 – public launch of the atlas prototype, public consultation
- April 2011 - release of the first version of the atlas
- January 2013 - release of the second version of the atlas
- January 2015 – release of the third version of the atlas
- January 2017 – release of the fourth version of the atlas
- Ongoing – the atlas will be continuously improved and updated based on user input
Atlas data – The data displayed in the atlas have been collected from European Commission departments, EU agencies, international organisations among:
The information source appears in each map's metadata.
Software – Infrastructure – ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Viewer for Flex