Drug Prevention and Information Programme-DPIP
This Programme is the only EU programme which is solely dedicated to funding projects on illicit drugs.The Programme provides financial support for projects which aim to exchange and transfer best practice across the EU to improve the quality of prevention and treatment services, to reduce drug-related health damage and to prevent drug use.
On 25 September 2007, the European Parliament and the Council adopted a Decision establishing the Specific Programme "Drug prevention and information" (DPIP) for the period 2007-2013 as apart of the general Programme'Fundamental Rights and Justice", in order to contribute to the strengthening of the area of Freedom, Security and Justice over the period of 2007-2013.
This Programme builds on the EU Drugs Strategy and Action plans, the ultimate aim of which is to significantly reduce the social harm and health damage caused by the use of, and trade in, illicit drugs.
Objectives and tools
The general objectives of the DPIP are:
- to prevent and reduce drug use, dependence and drug related harm;
- to contribute to the improvement of information on drug use;
- to support the implementation of the EU Drugs Strategy.
The Programme should promote actions aiming at:
- the setting up of multidisciplinary networks;
- the expansion of the knowledge base;
- the exchange of information and the identification and dissemination of good practice.
Actions under the DPIP should also have the objective to:
- raise awareness of the social and health problems caused by drugs use;
- to encourage an open dialogue with a view to promoting a better understanding of the drug phenomenon.
Measures aimed at preventing drug use, including the reduction of drug-related harm and treatment methods, taking into account the latest state of scientific knowledge should also be supported.
The DPIP also aims to involve civil society in the implementation and development of the EU's Drugs Strategy and Action Plans including the monitoring, the implementation and the evaluation of the implementation of specific actions under the Drugs Action Plans.
The Programme will pursue its objectives by means of support to transnational projects (Action grants), to the activities of non-governmental organisations or other entities pursuing an aim of a general European interest (Operating grants) and by specific actions initiated by the Commission (Calls for tenders)
Acces to the Programme and target Groups
Access to the DPIP shall be open to public or private organisations and institutions established in the EU Member States, Norway, Iceland or Lichtenstein (local authorities at the relevant level, university departments and research centres) working in the area of information on and prevention of drug use including the reduction and treatment of drug-related harm.
The target groups of the programme's activities are all those who may be affected by the consequences of drug use, including:
- young people, pregnant women, vulnerable groups and problematic neighbourhoods.
- Other target groups are, inter alia, teachers and educational staff, parents, social workers, local and national authorities, medical and paramedical staff, judicial staff, law enforcement and penitentiary authorities, NGOs, trade unions and religious communities.
Annual Work Programmes
For the implementation of the DPIP the Commission has adopted the following annual work programmes:
- Annual Work Programme 2013
- Annual Work Programme 2012
- Annual Work Programme 2011 - amended
- Annual Work Programme 2010 [60 KB]
- Annual Work Programme 2009 [65 KB]
- Annual Work Programme 2008 [59 KB]
- Annual Work Programme 2007 [44 KB]
Calls for proposals
Action grants - DPIP/AG
- 2013- Call for proposals Action Grant - submission is closed
- 2011-2012 – Call for proposals for Action Grants - submission is closed
- 2009-2010 – Call for proposals for Action Grants - submission is closed
- 2008 – Call for proposals for Action Grants – submission is closed
- 2007 - Call for proposals for Action Grants – submission is closed
Operating grants – DPIP/OG
- 2012 - Call for proposals for operating grants - submission is closed
- 2011 - Call for proposals for operating grants - submission is closed
- 2010 - Call for proposals for operating grants - submission is closed
- 2008 - Call for proposals for operating grants - submission is closed