Category: Seconded National Expert
Location: Seville, Spain
Duration: Initial contract duration of 24 months (possible starting date 1st quarter 2020)
Deadline: (Deadline is established internally by the Commission/DG HR. Please check with your Permanent Representation/Diplomatic Mission of Non-Member Country to see if an alternate date preceding this date has been set.)
REF: JRC B.5 Circular Economy & Industrial Leadership
This vacancy notice is open to:
- Member States
- the following third countries: Turkey, Norway
Seconded National Expert
As the European Commission's science and knowledge service, the Joint Research Centre's mission is to support EU policies with independent evidence throughout the whole policy cycle.
Its work has a direct impact on the lives of citizens by contributing with its research outcomes to a healthy and safe environment, secure energy supplies, sustainable mobility and consumer health and safety.
More details about the JRC.
The current vacancy is in the Directorate for Growth and Innovation, the Circular Economy and Industrial Leadership Unit.
The mission of this Unit is to provide the techno-economic support in the fields of industrial emissions, product policy, waste and environmental management, to develop and apply analytical modelling capabilities, economic analyses and impact assessments, to take care of the techno-economic characterization of selected technologies, products and processes, to provide methodological, modelling and analytical support with regard to the socio-economic and environmental implications of external trade, including the interaction between external trade and the functioning of the single market and to provide analyses of global production, trade and value chains.
The vacancy is for a BREF Author. BREF Authors are needed to contribute to the work on the drawing up and review of a number of Best Available Techniques (BAT) reference documents (BREFs) in the framework of the implementation of the Industrial Emissions Directive (IED, 2010/75/EU) including (but not limited to) the following areas:
- Large Volume Inorganic Chemicals (LVIC);
- Surface Treatment of Metals and Plastics (STM).
BREF Authors assist in coordinating the work of a technical working group (TWG) composed of 80 to 200 experts to draw up or review one of the BREFs. More information about JRC B.5 Circular Economy & Industrial Leadership. The principal duties of a BREF Author, working under the supervision of an official, are to:
- Foster technical discussions/exchanges within the TWG on issues of interest to the BREF development process to find compromise solutions between stakeholders on difficult technical issues;
- Cross-check BREF related information especially by researching information relevant to the BREF and analysing; and validating/peer reviewing information provided by TWG members;
- Draft the BREF document (including the BAT conclusions that will become Commission Implementing Decisions) based on the information provided and catalyse the technical discussions in TWG plenary or sub-group meetings.
We are looking for a dynamic and motivated Seconded National Expert (SNE).
The successful candidate is able to work in a team and has a proven working knowledge of Community environmental policies (in particular the IPPC and IED Directives and the concepts within) and of environmental regulation practices in the Member States. He/she also has a relevant scientific background, preferably in chemistry, physics or engineering.
In addition, the candidate possesses strong communication skills and a proven capacity in coping with high workloads on complex techno-economic issues and meeting strict deadlines.
In addition to his/her mother tongue, the SNE should have an excellent command of English. Other EU languages are an asset.
Eligibility criteria for seconded national experts.
- Cultivates a workplace based on respect for other people and the environment;
- Embraces non-discriminatory practices and equality of opportunity. In case of equal merit, preference will be given to the gender in minority;
- Encourages learning and development possibilities.
How to apply
Please contact your Permanent Representation/Diplomatic Mission of Non-Member Country.
No applications should be sent to the JRC.