Microalgae-based products for the food and feed sector: an outlook for Europe
The European Union has recently adopted an ambitious strategy for developing the Bioeconomy in Europe, in this context algae
represents an emerging biological resource of great importance for its potential applications in different fields. In particular,
micro-algae are currently promoted as a new source of valuable nutrients for human and animal consumption.
This report analyses the production, markets and regulation of microalgae-based food and feed products, especially focusing
on the European sector. The report is structured in the following chapters:
- Micro-algal production systems
- Current markets, products and future developments for micro-algae
- Outlook: R&D and prospects for micro-algae biotechnology and genetic modification
- Safety and regulatory aspects of micro-algae food and feed applications in the EU and the US.
- EUR - Scientific and Technical Research Reports
Publications Office of the European Union