EU Science Hub

JRC News

Digital platforms are the key element of the collaborative economy; they enable matchmaking between providers and users of goods and services at very low costs.
©Fotolia, juliabatsheva
Dec 16 2016
The latest JRC work puts forward a research agenda to strengthen the scientific evidence base for the development of policies that maximise the benefits and minimise the costs for all the stakeholders involved in the collaborative economy.
Dec 16 2016

The Joint Research Centre's EU Reference Laboratory for Alternative to Animal Testing (EURL ECVAM) has entirely revamped  its  Tracking System for Alternative methods towards Regulatory acceptance (TSAR), recently launched at the Commission’s scientific conference on “Non-animal Approaches-The way Forward” held on 6-7 December in Brussels.

EURL ECVAM Scientific Advisory Committee (ESAC) Dec 2016 EURL ECVAM Scientific Advisory Committee (ESAC) Dec. 2016
©European Commission
Dec 15 2016
An engineering installing a PV solar panel At the end of 2016, worldwide solar PV power capacity is expected to exceed 310 GW, producing roughly 1.5 % of the global electricity demand.
©Fotolia, Morane
Dec 14 2016
Although it is still a global leader in photovoltaic (PV) installations, the EU’s share is down from 66% in 2012 and is declining, both in relation to a growing market worldwide and in actual installations.
Tracey Holley (EURL ECVAM) reporting on the 3Rs knowledge sharing, Brussels Dec 2016 Tracey Holley (EURL ECVAM) reporting on the 3Rs knowledge sharing, Brussels Dec 2016
©European Commission
Dec 12 2016

On 6-7th December 2016, the European Commission held a scientific conference in Brussels to engage the scientific community and relevant stakeholders in a debate on how to exploit cutting edge advances in biomedical and other research in the development of scientifically valid non-animal approaches (alternatives to animal testing).

Graph showing R&D spending variation across US Federal agencies US Federal R&D expenditure rose substantially across all major agencies (with the relative exception of NSF.) The increase (0,7% annual, totalling $137.2 billion in 2015) represents an important shift in the recent downward trend in U.S. R&D spending.
Dec 12 2016

The newly published RIO country report on the United States national research and innovation system by Charles Wessner (Georgetown University) examines the sustained investments made, or approved, in 2015 by the US government and private sector.

The graph shows the distribution of the Federal budget among sectoral ministries and CONACYT, from 2011 to 2013. The public sector spent approximately 60% of resources dedicated to R&D while the private sector spent the remaining 40% (2011-2013). CONACYT received almost 45% of the total Federal R&D budget, having increased from 42.77% in 2011 to 44.69% in 2013.
Dec 09 2016

The new RIO Country Report on Mexico highlights the opportunities created for European players following the policy reforms in the Energy and telecommunications sector.
Mexico's spending in R&D reached its highest level for the last decade in 2014 (0.54% of GDP). The country is also the top ten attractor of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the world, mostly in manufacturing.

Graph depicting China's Gross Expenditure on R&D (GERD) from 2006 to 2014 China's Gross Expenditure on R&D (GERD) amounted to €277,554 million in 2014. R&D intensity (GERD as percentage of GDP) increased from 1.93% in 2012 to 2.05% in 2014, ahead of the EU28 (2014: 1.94%).
Dec 09 2016

China 2015 RIO Report explains recent policy reforms and laws aiming to accelerate innovation-driven growth and address major challenges in China’s innovation system. It examines the recent 'Made in China 2025' plan and an ongoing major reform, begun in 2015, towards greater independence, transparency and coordination of the many R&D funding programmes.

Wheat crop The Outlook describes trends for arable crops, sugar, biofuels, dairy and meat markets until 2026, and also for olive oil, wine, fruit and vegetables.
©Željko Radojko, Fotolia.com
Dec 09 2016
JRC expertise in modelling has fed into the latest annual issue of the Commission's Agricultural Outlook for the next decade.
The data show that the impacts of climate on where and when surface water occurs can be measured, and that the presence of surface water can be substantially altered by human activities. The data show that the impacts of climate on where and when surface water occurs can be measured, and that the presence of surface water can be substantially altered by human activities.
©EU/Google 2016
Dec 07 2016
In an article published in Nature, JRC scientists describe how, in collaboration with Google, they have quantified changes in global surface waters and created interactive maps which highlight the changes in the Earth's surface water over the past 32 years.

Pages