This symposium will present the Joint Research Centre (JRC) Foresight Study "Delivering on EU Food Safety and Nutrition in 2050 – Future challenges and policy preparedness". The event is commissioned by European Commission department for Health and Food Safety (DG SANTE).
The goal of the symposium is to contribute to the European debate on the future of food, to share views and food policies of EU countries, to provide a platform for a multi-disciplinary discussion on the future of food in the EU.
Discussions with stakeholders representing a wide range of perspectives related to the entire food chain, the event aims to stimulate forward thinking and subsequently provide input to policy development and implementation that reflects Europe's leading role in food safety and nutrition security.
The event is organised by the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission together with the Trio Presidency of Malta, Slovakia and the Netherlands.
9.00 Registration and coffee/tea
9.30 Opening by Robert de Groot, NL Permanent Representative to the EU and Alexander Micovin, SK Deputy Permanent Representative to the EU
9.35 Welcome by Charlina Vitcheva, Deputy DG of the Joint Research Centre
9.45 Presentation of the JRC Foresight Study "Delivering on EU Food Safety and Nutrition in 2050 – Future challenges and policy preparedness"*, by Franz Ulberth, Joint Research Centre
10.15 Presentation of perspectives on Food Policies of Sweden, the Netherlands and (tbc)
10.45 Coffee break
11.15 Panel discussion on The Future of Food:
- Olivier De Schutter, Co-Chair of IPES-Food and former UN Special Rapporteur on the right to food
- Ladislav Miko, Deputy DG for Food Safety of the European Commission
- A representative of Food Drink Europe
- Paolo Gouveia, Chief Policy Advisor of Copa Cogeca
- Wojchiec Kalamarz, Head of Unit for Health Determinants & Inequality of the European Commission
- Jock Martin, Head of Integrated Environmental Assessments at the EU Environment Agency of EC
- Camille Perrin, Senior Food Policy Officer, European Consumer Organisation BEUC
- Beat Späth, Director for Agricultural Biotech of EuropaBio
12.45 Closing remarks by the European Commission
12.55 - Closing by Neil Kerr, Dty. Permanent Representative of the Maltese Presidency of the Council of the EU
Brussels, Belgium - the Permanent Representation of the Netherlands to the EU, Kortenberglaan 4-10, Brussels
Representatives of the Permanent Representations, Commission services (DG SANTE, DG AGRI, DG ENVI, DG RTD, DG GROW, EFSA and DG CLIMA), NGO’s, industry and EP, working in the field of agriculture, food, health, veterinary & phytosanitary affairs, environment and science, are kindly invited to participate in this symposium.
To REGISTER, please send your name and name of your organisation by 22 June ONLY to BRE-EZ@minbuza.nl