In 1994 first activities were certified according to the ISO 9001 Quality Management Standard and since 1998 the entire institute was certified.
In 2008 an Integrated Management System (IMS) covering ISO 9001 (Quality Management Systems), ISO 14001 (Environmental Management Systems) and OHSAS 18001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems) was developed and implemented.
The scope of the certification is examination of the physical, chemical and mechanical properties of nuclear materials, radioactive products and environmental samples; production and characterisation of different samples, development and operation of laboratory and measurement equipment.
The Analytical Service sector of Nuclear safeguards and forensics unit is accredited according to ISO/IEC 17025 (General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories).
Certificate ISO 9001 : 2008
Certificate ISO 14001 : 2009
Certificate OHSAS 18001 : 2007
Certificate ISO/IEC 17025 [424 KB]
Certificate ISO/IEC 17025: Scope
Quality, Enviromental, Health & Safety Policies
In order to guarantee the highest quality of research and development work, protection of the environment, health & safety of all persons working for or on behalf of our organisation, we are committed to the following policy which is regularly reviewed.
- We continuously improve our Quality Management, Environmental, and Health and Safety performance through planning, monitoring, evaluating and re-defining relevant objectives.
- We guarantee that all persons working at JRC-ITU are committed to comply with legal requirements, institute specific regulations and other identified positive impact solutions.
- We systematically analyse, evaluate and reduce all risks associated with our activities with potential impact on persons, environment and quality of our work through continuous improvement measures.
- We report and analyse occurring anomalies and implement preventive and corrective actions in order to avoid reoccurrences.
- We promote and maintain best practices for the handling and storage of radioactive, chemical and dangerous substances.
- We optimise radiation protection to avoid unnecessary exposures, assure traceability of radioactive and other hazardous materials.
- We prevent fire by taking appropriate measures and giving clear guidelines.
- We limit the production of waste and the consumption of natural resources.
- Our managers promote a culture of implementing best Quality, Environmental, and Health and Safety practices by setting an example to their staff.