What the Commission is doing
The European Consensus on Development commits the EU to eradicating poverty and building a fairer and more stable world.
Together with its member countries, the EU adopted the European Consensus on Development in 2017, as part of its response to the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its Sustainable Development Goals. The consensus defines our shared vision and action framework for development cooperation.
- play a key role in the achievement of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals
- promote democracy, the rule of law, and the respect of human rights in developing countries
- ensure sustainable economic, social and environmental progress in developing countries
- make development aid from different European countries more effective by deepening the cooperation between national governments
- launch negotiations on a revised Cotonou agreement with the African, Caribbean and Pacific group of countries