Implementing the 17 Sustainable Development Goals can only be achieved with a strong involvement of all stakeholders. On 22 May 2017, the European Commission adopted a decision on setting up the high-level multi-stakeholder platform on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the EU.
The platform will be chaired by European Commission First Vice-President Frans Timmermans. Interested stakeholders had the possibility to apply before 26 June 2017. The Commisison is currently assessing the applications received.
The role of the platform
The platform will
- support and advise the European Commission and all stakeholders involved on the implementation of the SDGs at EU level
- support and advise the European Commission in relation to Commission events on sustainable development
- help to prepare the selection process of an annual sustainability award
- provide a forum for exchange of experience and best practice on the implementation of the SDGs across sectors and at local, regional, national and EU level
Who can participate?
The European Commission aims for an inclusive and balanced stakeholder representation, including
- civil society
- non-governmental organisations
- the private and corporate sector
The platform aims to cover the social, economic and environmental aspects of sustainable development, as well as the internal and external policy dimensions.