eTranslation is an online machine translation service provided by the European Commission (EC).
eTranslation is intended for European public administrations, Small and Medium-sized enterprises and University language faculties, or for Connecting Europe Facility projects.
If you work in one of the above in an EU country, Iceland or Norway, you can use our product free of charge until further notice. Apart from individual users, the machine translation service is also available to EC information systems and online services through an API.
eTranslation has been officially launched on 15 November 2017 and builds on the previous machine translation service of the European Commission - MT @ EC.
- high security - all data processed by the system stay within the Commission's firewalls and can't be seen by outsiders
- translates from and into any official EU language
- works best with texts on EU-related matters
- free of charge, until further notice, as the Connecting Europe Facility programme (CEF) evolves into the Digital Europe Programme (DEP)
Our machine translation service produces raw automatic translations. Use it to grasp the gist of a text or as the starting point for a human-quality translation. If you need a perfectly accurate, high-quality translation, the text still needs to be revised by a skilled professional translator.
- accepts the following formats: .txt, .doc, .docx, .odt,.ott, .rtf, .xls, .xlsx, .ods, .ots, .ppt, .pptx, .odp, .otp, .odg, .otg, .htm, .html, .xhtml, .h, .xml, .xlf, .xliff, .sdlxliff, .rdf, .tmx and pdf.
- detects the language of text longer than 30 characters
- can translate several documents into several languages in one go
- keeps the format of your original document (except for pdf, which returns as docx)
- offers 552 language pairs, covering all 24 official EU languages, Icelandic and Norwegian (Bokmål)
- emails translations to you, or stores them in your personal workspace for 24 hours
Staff working for EU institutions or agencies can directly access eTranslation with their EU Login (formerly ECAS) credentials and therefore do not need to register.
Staff working for a public administration, Small and Medium-sized enterprise and University language faculty in an EU country, Iceland or Norway can self register here.
Individual accesses will be automatically deactivated after 12 months if not used.
By registering to use this application, you are consenting to eTranslation’s use of personal data as described below.
eTranslation records the login, time of access, languages requested, size of document submitted for translation and the domain of your email address (…@ec.europa.eu) to enable access to the service and processing of requests, as well as for statistical purposes. These are kept for 18 months and then archived.
If you choose to have your document returned by e-mail, your e-mail address will be kept until the document is sent. It will subsequently be reduced to its domain only. Users should exercise their judgement when submitting potentially sensitive documents to any online service, including eTranslation.
Documents submitted remain available for 24 hours after which they are deleted. There is a “delete after download” option which, if ticked, results in the text being deleted immediately after it is delivered.
Data will not be shared with third parties.
The official Data Protection Notification can be found here
Should you wish to raise any concerns on the eTranslation’s use of personal data please write to DGT-ETRANSLATION-ADVISORY@ec.europa.eu
How to use it
After logging into eTranslation, select the type of translation you prefer:
- Translate documents - upload one or more documents (in one go, if you prefer)
- Translate text - type or copy and paste your snippet of text
- eTranslation help page - see in detail how the service works (only registered users have access)
- For any questions concerning access to eTranslation's Web Interface and eTranslation's webservice please contact:
- DGT-ETRANSLATION-ADVISORY@ec.europa.eu if you are a staff member of an EU Institution or Agency;
- firstname.lastname@example.org in all other cases.