To become a member of the EMT network, programmes have to pass a strict selection procedure following a call for applications which is organised every 5 years. The next selection round will be launched on 14 September 2018. Deadline for submission of applications will be 14 December 2018.
You can apply for membership if your programme:
- is already in place in (and authorised by) an EU country
- is an authorised programme run by a university in certain non-EU countries (prospective new member countries, countries taking part in the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) or the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland and Russia).
Programmes have to meet a number of criteria relevant for quality translator training according to the EMT standards:
- structure of the programme — objectives, credits and expected learning outcomes of the courses given
- coverage of the key competences according to the new EMT Competence Framework
- sustainability — staffing policy and number of graduates over the past years
- career support and monitoring — including career guidance for students, internships, tracking of careers after graduation and employment statistics
- cooperation with higher education institutions at an international level or participation in national networks
- effective quality assurance system
- research activities
Watch the recording of the EMT info session for more detailed information about the selection procedure.
Eligible applications will be evaluated by academic experts assisted by representatives of the language industry who are members of the LIND Board. The academic experts will be selected by the DGT from a list drawn up following an open Call for assessors – EMT selection procedure 2018. The Director-General of DGT will decide on EMT membership based on the results of the academic assessment. The selection decision is final and non-appealable. Both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be informed of the outcome by a letter containing consolidated feedback from the assessors. The new list of EMT network members will published on the EMT webpage in June 2019.
- Benefits of EMT membership as seen by Professor Dragoș Ciobanu, University of Leeds, UK
- Benefits of EMT membership as seen by Professor Marina Platonova, Riga Technical University, Latvia