The EU-India Agreement on scientific and technological cooperation concluded in 2001, renewed in 2010 and 2016, is the cornerstone of research and innovation cooperation with India.
Coordinated calls for proposals co-funded by India and the EU have been implemented in
- computational materials science
- food and nutrition research
- solar energy research
- water related challenges
The EU-India Summit in 2017 set out a common vision for further strengthening and broadening the scope of bilateral relations in several fields. The main research outcomes were
- an Implementing Arrangement allowing Indian scientists to join ERC teams in Europe
- €30 million flagship initiative on water research and innovation under the 2018-2020 Horizon 2020 work programme
- co-funding mechanism extended across all areas of mutual interest under Horizon 2020, including health and energy
- new €30 million flagship call on a next generation of influenza vaccine
An EU-India innovation platform launched in 2017 aims to foster innovation cooperation between Indian and European industries and start-up ecosystems.
Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU research and innovation programme ever with nearly €80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020). It is open to the world, which means that participants from all over the world can participate in most calls. In many cases, the EU will fund at least partly the participation of the international partners.
Agreements and arrangements
- EU-India Agreement on scientific and technological cooperation
- Implementing Arrangement between the European Commission and the Indian Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) enabling Indian researchers to be hosted by ERC grantees in Europe
Project and results
Research project database
For previous framework programmes, please contact the Research enquiry service
Project success stories
Stories of particularly successful EU-funded research projects involving India
National Contact Points
The National Contact Points (NCPs) provide guidance, practical information and assistance on all aspects of participation in Horizon 2020.
Research enquiry service
You can contact the research enquiry service to find out more about research in Europe, the EU's research and innovation funding programmes as well as calls for proposals and project funding.