Research and innovation driving transformative change
Becoming the world’s first climate-neutral continent by 2050 is a once in a lifetime opportunity to modernise the EU’s economy and society and re-orient them towards a just and sustainable future.
Research and innovation will play a central role in
- accelerating and navigating the necessary transitions
- deploying, demonstrating and de-risking solutions
- engaging citizens in social innovation
New call supporting the Green Deal
To respond to the urgency and ambition of the European Green Deal objectives, Horizon 2020 will support additional Green Deal related research and innovation with a call worth close to €1 billion.
Europe’s green research and innovation investments
Horizon Europe is the EU's next research and innovation programme starting in 2021.
Its powerful instruments and innovative governance will drive the necessary systemic changes to reach climate neutrality and ensure an inclusive ecological and economic transition.
Horizon Europe, in synergy with other EU programmes, will be key to leveraging national public and private investment. Together they will foster new technologies, sustainable solutions and disruptive innovation and spread successful new solutions across Europe and the world.
Over 35% of Horizon Europe spending will contribute to climate objectives.
There will be a new wave of research and innovation partnerships under Horizon Europe.
Partnerships will help drive the huge transformations in environment, society and the economy that the European Green Deal calls for.
The EU will work closely with industry and countries to support partnerships in critical areas such as transport - including batteries - clean hydrogen, low-carbon steel, circular biobased sectors, the built environment and biodiversity.
The missions in Horizon Europe will mobilise research and innovation, catalyse action, deliver impact, demonstrate solutions, and produce European public goods.
At the same time, they aim to capture citizens' imagination and inspire confidence in the transformations ahead.
Four out of the five agreed mission areas in Horizon Europe directly support the European Green Deal
- Healthy oceans, seas, coastal and inland waters
- Climate-neutral and smart cities
- Soil health and food
- Adaptation to climate change and societal transformation
Green research and innovation rules
To deliver on the European Green Deal, a careful assessment, analysis and design of existing and future legislation is necessary. At the same time, it is important to leave room for new and out-of-the-box ideas to reach a sustainable future more quickly and more effectively.
The Innovation Principle approach can be a useful tool in this regard.
EU-funded research projects are already producing results that will help deliver the European Green Deal.
- GELCLAD designed a smart modular ready-to-use insulation panel made of advanced nano-insulation materials, weatherproofed recycled polymers, and wood biopolymer, cutting production costs and piloted in Slovenia, the UK and Germany
- OYSTER is designing smart materials to control the wettability of surfaces
- DREAM has developed and tested a software-based simulation model helping to reduce the ceramics industry carbon footprint
- BAMB supports the circular economy with low-emission building design and component re-use
- AMBER is helping restore local river ecosystems
- REFRESH is using insights from behavioural science to cut food waste
- MUSICA is decarbonising small islands' electricity production using renewables
- FIRST2RUN is showing how underused crops can be converted into bioproducts, animal feed and energy
- SPARCs works with cities to smooth the transition to a citizen-centred, zero-carbon, resource-efficient economy
- DownToTen is improving measurement of nanoparticles to support future emissions regulation
- E-FERRY is a 100% electric ferry, powered only by batteries
- LACTIPS makes water-soluble plastic packaging from milk by-products
- BIOSKOH is producing low-emission bioethanol cheaply on brownfield sites
- DEMETO offers plastic producers and waste recyclers a cost-effective way to treat plastic
- CARBON4PUR transforms industrial emissions into building insulation and coatings
- ROMEO is designing a new reactor concept to drastically reduce energy consumption
- SHAREBOX provides plant managers with real time data to share energy resources with other industries
- TeSSe2b is developing energy storage solutions for residential buildings using solar and geothermal resources
- TCBL has brought together more than 300 textile companies and innovation labs moving towards circular and sustainable business models
Find more successful green research projects