What is the EIS
The European innovation scoreboard provides a comparative analysis of innovation performance in EU countries, other European countries, and regional neighbours. It assesses the relative strengths and weaknesses of national innovation systems and helps countries identify areas they need to address. The European innovation scoreboard 2021 was released on 21 June 2021. This year’s EIS report is also accompanied by the 2021 edition of the regional innovation scoreboard which provides comparable results for 240 regions in 22 EU countries.
The European Innovation Scoreboard 2022 will be published in September. Stayed tuned for more information.
European innovation scoreboard 2021
The 2021 edition of the innovation scoreboard shows that Europe's innovation performance continues to improve across the EU. On average, innovation performance has increased by 12.5% since 2014. There is continued convergence within the EU, with lower-performing countries growing faster than higher-performing ones, therefore closing the innovation gap among them.
Five EU countries witnessed an improvement in the performance of 25 percentage points or more (Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Italy and Lithuania). Sweden continues to be the EU Innovation Leader, followed by Finland, Denmark and Belgium, all with innovation performance well above the EU average.
In the global landscape, the EU is performing better than its competitors like China, Brazil, South Africa, Russia, and India, while South Korea, Canada, Australia, the United States, and Japan have a performance lead over the EU.
This year’s European innovation scoreboard (EIS) is based on a revised framework, which includes new indicators on digitalisation and environmental sustainability, bringing the scoreboard more in line with the EU political priorities.
European innovation scoreboard interactive tool
The European innovation scoreboard interactive tool allows for custom comparisons of performance scores. Visualise country profiles, compare relative strengths, weaknesses and trends, and test correlations between indicators.
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||Iceland||Israel|
Documents and media
- European innovation scoreboard 2021 – Main report
- European innovation scoreboard 2021 – Executive summary (available in 23 languages)
- European innovation scoreboard 2021 – Annex B (performance per indicator)
- European innovation scoreboard 2021 – Methodology report
- European innovation scoreboard 2021 – Databases
- European innovation scoreboard 2021 - Press release
- European innovation scoreboard 2021 - Memo
Other EIS documents
- European innovation scoreboard – Exploratory report on measuring environmental innovation
- European innovation scoreboard – Exploratory report on measuring social innovation
- European innovation scoreboard – Exploratory report on measuring digital skills
- European innovation scoreboard – Exploratory report on capturing mechanisms and emerging phenomena of innovation
- European innovation scoreboard – Case study on innovation performance in selected Smart Specialisation Platform regions