European Capital of Innovation Award 2020
The competition is now open.
Is your city pushing the boundaries of innovation and using it for the benefit of your citizens? Don’t miss your chance.
Apply by 23 June 2020 (17:00 CET) and bid for the title of European Capital of Innovation 2020.
What is the European Capital of Innovation (iCapital) Award?
This is an annual cash prize awarded to the European city that is best able to demonstrate its ability to harness innovation to improve the lives of its citizens.
In particular cities that
- contribute to open and dynamic innovation ecosystems
- involve citizens in governance and decision-making
- use innovation to improve the resiliency and sustainability of their cities
Why is there a prize?
This prize enables European cities to showcase their contribution to developing local innovation ecosystems for the benefit of businesses and the wellbeing of their citizens.
You can learn more about the previous recognised cities in the European Capitals of Innovation 2016-2019 booklet that features the best urban innovation practices from all corners of Europe and beyond.
€1 million to the city named European Innovation Capital of the year.
€100,000 to each of the five runner-up cities.
The award also recognises a number of finalist cities specially acknowledged for their efforts in promoting innovation.
Who can apply?
A city can apply as long as it
- has at least 100,000 inhabitants
- is in an EU country or a country associated to Horizon 2020, the EU's research and innovation programme
Cities are judged on how they implement innovative solutions to societal challenges. These solutions can be completed or ongoing, but must have been implemented in the year prior to the opening of the contest or the contest year itself.
Cities will have to show how they created the conditions for innovation by
- experimenting innovative concepts, processes, tools, and governance models as a test-bed for innovation
- engaging citizens in the innovation process and ensuring the uptake of their ideas
- expanding the city's attractiveness to become a role model for other cities
- empowering citizens by bringing concrete and measurable added value through the implementation of innovative practices
Applications are judged by a panel of independent experts from across Europe.
How to apply
Cities can apply for the contest online. The full details are explained in the following documents.
For more information please contact us at email@example.com
To subscribe to the monthly iCapital mailing, drop an email to the above address expressing your interest and allowing to receiving regular information about the contest.
The timetable for the 2020 edition of the competition
- 5 March 2020
- 23 June 2020
Deadline for applications
- 22 – 24 September 2020
Announcement of iCapital 2020 and runners-up