Raising awareness of gender-based violence
Awareness-raising is key to spreading the clear message of zero tolerance of all forms of violence against women and girls. It's also key to informing victims of their rights and support services available to them.
Non-governmental organisations (NGOs) are well-placed to develop grassroots initiatives to prevent violence and support victims.
Funding and support
The EU works to raise awareness by
- funding national ministries' communication activities on violence against women
- supporting grassroots organisations working to prevent violence against women
- organising exchanges between national governments and NGOs running projects on violence against women
How to apply for funding
Calls for proposals and calls for tenders are available under the following programmes
- rights, equality and citizenship programme: funds NGOs, governments and networks addressing violence against women
- justice programme: funds organisations that help victims access justice, and organisations working on the correct implementation of EU legislation on protection orders