EU funding for Roma integration
For the 2014-2020 period, Spain will be allocated a total of €28 billion from the European Social Fund (ESF) and European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). At least 27.7% of this amount will be spent on the ESF, with at least 20% of that going to social inclusion and combating poverty, which can include Roma-related measures.
ESF managing authority
Ministerio de empleo y seguridad social, Unidad Administradora del Fondo Social Europeo, C/Pío Baroja 3, ES-28009 Madrid
ERDF managing authorities
- Ministerio de hacienda y administraciones públicas Madrid, España, Dirección general de fondos comunitarios, subdirección general de administración del FEDER, Paseo de la Castellana 162, E-28071 Madrid
- Ministerio de hacienda y administraciones públicas Madrid, España, Dirección general de fondos comunitarios, Subdirección general de fondo de cohesión y cooperación territorial Europea, Paseo de la Castellana, 162E-162. 28046 Madrid
- Subdirección general de fondo de cohesión y cooperación territorial Europea, Paseo de la Castellana, E-162. 28046 Madrid
Facts and figures
Council of Europe estimates: approximately 725,000 Roma live in Spain (1.57% of the population).
National strategy for Roma integration
The main objective of Spain’s strategy is encouraging school attendance of Roma children and improving the living conditions of the Roma by closing down slums.
Spain’s national Roma integration strategy focuses on eradicating poverty and promoting social inclusion of the Roma, in particular in the areas of education, employment, health and housing.
The strategy relies on consultation and co-operation with all stakeholders, including NGOs, the media, academia, and the Roma themselves. The National Reform Programme (NRP) proposes measures that directly contribute to the social inclusion of the Roma.
Assessment of Spain’s strategy implementation
In spring 2014, the Commission assessed the implementation of the national Roma integration strategies in the four key areas of education, employment, healthcare and housing, as well as progress made in in the fight against discrimination and the use of funding.
- The Commission's assessment of Spain’s national strategy (2014)
- The Commission's assessment of Spain’s national strategy (2012)
- The European Union and the Roma – Factsheet Spain
National Roma contact point
The national contact point for the national Roma integration strategy in Spain is the Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality