How the next framework programme will be designed
The Commission is working on a proposal for the framework programme that will succeed Horizon 2020.
This is done on the basis of various building blocks including the interim evaluation of Horizon 2020, the Lab-Fab-App report (informally the Lamy report), foresight studies and various other reports.
The proposal will be made as part of the EU's proposal for the next EU long-term budget.
- Communication adopted on 14 February 2018 on a New, Modern Multiannual Financial Framework post-2020
Have your say
The Commission is keen to receive input from stakeholders, organisations and citizens.
- call for feedback on research and innovation missions (Closed 4 April 2018 - thank you for input)
- public consultation on EU funds in the area of research & innovation (Closed 8 March 2018 – thank you for your input)
Evaluating Horizon 2020
- Communication on the interim evaluation of Horizon 2020, adopted 11 January 2018 which outlines views on how the impact of a successor research and innovation investment programme could be maximised
- Horizon 2020 Evaluation: Results of the interim evaluation of Horizon 2020, input studies and evaluation methods
- LAB – FAB – APP: Investing in the European future we want Report of the independent high level group, led by Pascal Lamy, on maximising the impact of EU research and innovation programmes
A mission-oriented policy approach
The next framework programme will incorporate research and innovation missions to ensure the effectiveness of research and innovation funding by pursuing clearly defined targets.
The Commission has engaged policy experts to develop studies, case studies and reports on how a mission-oriented policy approach would work.
Reports and materials shaping the proposal
- Mission-Oriented Research & Innovation in the EU: A problem solving approach to innovation-led growth. This report is the result of Professor Mariana Mazzucato's academic reflections based on her research with input from internal and external stakeholders of the European Commission.
- Presentation on mission-oriented research and innovation policy: Presentation outlining some of the main findings of the report by Professor Mariana Mazzucato
Foresight study to prepare scenarios for future contexts of EU research and innovation policy.
An analysis to set out the economic rationale for public R&Iinvestments and their impact on growth and jobs is being carried out by the Commission.
Involving citizens in setting priorities for the next framework programme
Report by the Democratic Society on involving citizens in the next framework programme
Report of the high level group on the European Innovation Council
Europe is back: Accelerating breakthrough innovation recommendations on how a European Innovation Council (EIC) should be set up to fund and nurture breakthrough innovation.
Expected next steps
- May 2018 the Commission adopts its proposal for the next EU long-term budget
- soon after the Commission adopts its proposal for the next framework programme for research and innovation
- the Council and European Parliament negotiate and subsequently adopt the programme
- the programme is launched 1 January 2021