The Research Executive Agency employs 625 people from 24 countries. It will become the largest executive agency of the Commission by 2020.
The main categories of staff are:
Temporary agents (about 25% of staff)
Temporary agents are recruited for specialised tasks on fixed-term contracts which may be renewed.
Typical job profiles include: research programme officers, legal officers, andsome junior-management positions such as heads of sectors.
Contract agents (about 75% of staff)
Contract agentsare recruited to do a wide range of support or technical jobs. Depending on the responsibilities and qualifications required, they are divided into four function groups(FG I to FGIV). Contract agents are recruited on fixed-term contracts, which may be renewed.
Some typical job profiles in the REA include: project advisers, project officers, finance officers, project assistants and financial assistants.
REA hires its staffthrough anopen recruitment procedure, in line with the Staff regulations of officials and conditions of employment of other servants of the European Communities (related links below)
Terms of recruitment
- staff regulations and any specific decisions of the agency's steering committee apply to REA staff members
- remuneration is based on the community scale of salaries
- pay is subject to community tax and other deductions laid down in the staff regulations
- remuneration is exempt from any national taxation
- salaries depend on personal circumstances and whether the candidate has left his/her EU country to take up the position
- deductions are made for medical insurance, pensions and unemployment insurance, where applicable
- staff receive allowances for their children, where applicable
- medical insurance and pension scheme are provided
- annual leave entitlement, in addition to EU holidays, begins at 2 days per month (24 days per year)
REA offers job opportunities to:
- Temporary Agents
- Contract Agents
- Interim Agents
Temporary agents are recruitedthroughcalls of expressions of interest. Contract agentsare selected from databases after passinga CAST competition. The calls for trainees open twice a year and are processed by the European Commission.
Please note that this call for applications only concerns current Temporary Agent AD 2(f) contract holders.
Candidates must submit a complete application (in English or French): motivation letter (maximum one page), curriculum vitae in Europass format ONLY, and a completed eligibility grid (dated, signed and scanned). You will find it at the end of the vacancy notice. Only complete applications will be considered.
Applications must be submitted by email ONLY to REA-INTER-MOBILITY@ec.europa.eu, quoting the reference of the call for applications, at the latest by 28 February, 12:00 (midday), Brussels time (please check the time zones).
Candidates will receive an acknowledgment of receipt for their application. Any questions or requests for clarification should be sent to REA-INTER-MOBILITY@ec.europa.eu.
For short periods of time, the REA may hire Interim Agents to face peaks in workload, or compensate for long-term absences.
If you are interested in short-term jobs, you can contact our contracted temping (Ad Interim) agency to find out more about short-term opportunities:
Rue des Princes 8-10
Tel.: +32 (0)2/643 47 90
You can also send your CV to our functional mail box REA INTERIM AGENTS (REA-INTERIM-AGENTS@ec.europa.eu)
According to the REA Protection of personal data, we will keep your CV for one year.
Find out more information about EU careers on:
Change in the recruitment procedure in REA:
SPONTANEOUS APPLICATIONS are no longer considered in the REA selection procedure.
The European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO) is launching an open-ended selection procedure to create a pool of candidates from which the institutions, bodies, offices and agencies of the European Union (EU) (see the following link: http://europa.eu/about-eu/institutions-bodies/) can recruit contract agents.
Following the new EPSO CAST CALL, the use of the REA SPONTANEOUS APPLICATIONS DATABASE is closed down as from 5th January on and the CV(s) which you might have already submitted to us in the past will not be considered any more.
Provisional planning of recruitment panels for CAs in REA
First SEMESTER 2017:
The needs for each panel vary from 1 to 10 posts for the first semester 2017.
PROFILE FUNCTION GROUP (FG)
Secretary FG II
Administration/Finance FG II
Project management FG III
Administration FG III
Project management FG IV
Administration/Finance FG IV
2 additional panels have been added since May 1st
Project management FG IV
How does it work concretely?
- In REA, selection of new candidates is done via selection Panels.
- Selection panels search for candidates to be interviewed in a recruiter portal put at their disposal by EPSO
- They search for candidates that best match the specificity of the vacancies to be filled
- Normally, the number of retained candidates is limited to maximum of more or less 10 times the number of posts to be filled, but can be even less.
- Candidates retained by the panels have either passed already a CAST in one of the older CASTS (list below) OR are applicants in the open-ended call.
- Those candidates retained by the panels that did not yet pass a test (candidates in the open-ended call) will be invited by EPSO to sit a test.
- In any case, condition to be invited for an interview, is to have passed the full CAST (competency test included)
- It should be remarked that being candidate in the open-ended call or having past a CAST already does not guarantee your participation in selection panels.
If you want to find out which executive agencies/institutions/bodies can invite candidates for an interview please see the following link: http://europa.eu/about-eu/institutions-bodies/).
We would also like to inform candidates whose names feature in one of the below listed databases of eligible candidates, that the validity of the databases has been extended until 31/12/2017.
EPSO/CAST/1-6/07 (CAST 27)
EPSO/CAST/02/2010 (with successful competency test)
In order to have the possibility to be invited in a future selection of the REA, we kindly advise all candidates to apply for the new CASTS:
EPSO/CAST/P/1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17/2017 as soon as possible.
Only candidates who passed a CAST competency test, and/or are included in one of the databases listed above, can be considered for an interview by the REA selection panel.
Successful candidates will be called for an interview with a selection panel composed of staff from REA or other executive agencies/institutions/bodies (see the following link: http://europa.eu/about-eu/institutions-bodies/).
For questions concerning the new CAST please refer also to the FAQ of EPSO.
If you have high-level of expertise in your field and would like to evaluate proposals competing for research funding, you can become an independent expert.