Strategies and policies
By 2020, the EU aims to:
- reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by at least 20%
- increase the share of renewable energy to at least 20% of consumption
- achieve energy savings of 20% or more
All EU countries must also achieve a 10% share of renewable energy in their transport sector.
The partnership of the Urban Agenda for the EU on energy transition has as objectives to have a long-term structural change in energy systems, i.e. a shift to renewable energy and energy efficiency.
Urban data and studies
Funding opportunities and advice
Programmes and funding opportunities
For more information and other funding opportunities, please visit our dedicated funding page.
Advice and technical assistance
Urbis is a new dedicated urban investment advisory platform within the European Investment Advisory Hub. It is set up to provide advisory support to urban authorities to facilitate, accelerate and unlock urban investment projects, programmes and platforms.
JASPERS is the 'Joint Assistance to Support Projects in European Regions', free of charge for local authorities and promotors, which advices cities and regions on strategic planning in a wide range of sectors. It supports the preparation of projects in areas benefiting from EU funds so they meet all the necessary standards.
fi-Compass is a platform for advisory services on financial instruments and is designed to support European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF) managing authorities, Programme for Employment and Social Innovation (EaSI) microfinance providers and other interested parties, by providing practical know-how and learning tools on financial instruments.
FASUDIR - Integrated Decision Support Tool Overview
- Directive 2008/50/EC - ambient air quality and cleaner air for Europe
- Regulation 663/2009 - aiding economic recovery by granting financial assistance to energy projects
- Directive 2009/125/EC - setting ecodesign requirements for energy-related products
- Directive 2010/30/EU - indication by labelling and standard product information of the consumption of energy and other resources by energy-related products