What are smart cities?
A smart city is a place where traditional networks and services are made more efficient with the use of digital and telecommunication technologies for the benefit of its inhabitants and business.
A smart city goes beyond the use of information and communication technologies (ICT) for better resource use and less emissions. It means smarter urban transport networks, upgraded water supply and waste disposal facilities and more efficient ways to light and heat buildings. It also means a more interactive and responsive city administration, safer public spaces and meeting the needs of an ageing population.
European innovation partnership on smart cities and communities
The European innovation partnership on smart cities and communities (EIP-SCC) is an initiative supported by the European Commission that brings together cities, industry, small business (SMEs), banks, research and others.
It aims to improve urban life through more sustainable integrated solutions and addresses city-specific challenges from different policy areas such as energy, mobility and transport, and ICT.
It builds on the engagement of the public, industry and other interested groups to develop innovative solutions and participate in city governance.
Priorities of the partnership
- sustainable urban mobility
- sustainable districts and built environment
- integrated infrastructures and processes in energy, information and communication technologies and transport
- citizen focus
- policy and regulation
- integrated planning and management
- knowledge sharing
- baselines, performance indicators and metrics
- open data governance
- business models, procurement and funding
If you are active in the area of smart cities you can join the EIP-SCC marketplace. Its goals are to
- develop and implement integrated smart city solutions
- support networking, partnerships and exchange of information
- focus on the intersection of energy, ICT and transport
You can also find news, projects, partners and funding opportunities on the marketplace website.