In the first semester of the academic year 2021-2022, due to the COVID-19 spread, Pedagogical Assistance will be organised exclusively virtually. There will be no Pedagogical Assistance missions during this period. Please see below a new training menu and an updated application form.
The deadline for sending applications is 7 May (Friday) 2021.
Academy of trainers
Interpreter trainers in universities from EU countries, candidate and non-EU countries can attend seminars in Brussels given by experienced interpreters from DG Interpretation and guest speakers. Topics such as teaching interpretation, designing and running courses, profiling and examining candidates are covered.
The seminars are usually run in English, French, German and Spanish. Since 2001, 550 trainers from over 40 countries have participated in these seminars.
Participation is open to trainers from schools and universities cooperating with DG Interpretation, and priority is given to those languages and schools that have not recently received pedagogical assistance.
Study visits to the EU institutions
Study visits to DG Interpretation allow students in conference interpreting to familiarise themselves with the professional life of a conference interpreter working for the European Institutions.
It provides a unique opportunity for future interpreters to hear about how the department works, to find out about the professional standards required to work for the European Institutions, to learn about latest developments in new technologies in conference interpreting and to practice in a ‘dummy booth’ for a day, with an interpreter trainer.
There are different visit formats:
Visits from universities that DG Interpretation is currently cooperating with:
- Combined visit DG Interpretation & the European Parliament interpretation service (DG LINC):
3 visit days; 2 days at DG Interpretation and 1 day at the European Parliament - generally from Monday to Wednesday
- Visits to DG Interpretation only:
2 or 3 days – duration decided on a case-by-case basis
Visits from universities that DG Interpretation is not currently cooperating with:
- ½ day or 1 day
How to apply
- Study visit requests should be sent by university course leaders, not by individual students
- Requests will be considered on their interest to DG Interpretation and to the European Parliament interpretation service.
- Requests are subject to approval by the relevant Directors/Heads of Unit as well as subject to the availability of staff.
- The ‘peak season’ for study visits is February to May. Universities are kindly invited to indicate alternative dates in the period September to January and/or the month of June. Flexibility to accept alternative visit dates is greatly appreciated.
Please note that DG Interpretation and the European Parliament interpretation service are working services. If your university does not offer interpretation courses and you simply want to find out about general (language) aspects of the European Commission, you can visit the European Commission with the Visitors' Centre of the European Commission.
Study visit to the Directorate-General for Interpretation
Study visits to the European Parliament
Application deadlines for on-site assistance and/or study visits:
- 7 May for the period September - January
- 1 November for the period February - August