About this consultation
Number of responses received: 59
In the light of the comments received and taking into account the outcome of the on-going impact assessment, the Commission will propose revised versions of the applicable rules.
All citizens and organisations.
Objective of the consultation
Development of a new technical measures framework in the context of the reformed common fisheries policy (CFP).
The main policy objective of this initiative was to support the objectives of the reformed CFP. Technical measures are a key tool to achieve these objectives.
The new framework will also contribute to the Europe 2020 strategy by simplifying the fisheries policy, which has been criticised as being overly complex and difficult to enforce.
This overarching policy objective will be achieved through the following specific objectives
- Creation of a simplified regulatory framework that allows for regionalisation of technical measures
- Reduction and avoidance of unwanted catches through improvements to fishing gears and effective spatial and temporal measures
- Minimisation of the ecosystem impact of fishing gears through the mitigation of incidental bycatch of endangered, threatened or protected species and reduction of fishing pressure on sensitive habitats
This consultation should ascertain the views of the main stakeholders on how to achieve these objectives considering both the measures themselves and the governance structure within which they operate.
- Council Regulation (EC) No 850/98 of 30 March 1998 for the conservation of fishery resources through technical measures for the protection of juveniles of marine organisms
- Council Regulation (EC) No 2187/2005 of 21 December 2005 for the conservation of fishery resources through technical measures in the Baltic Sea, the Belts and the Sound
- Council Regulation (EC) No 1967/2006 of 21 December 2006 concerning management measures for the sustainable exploitation of fishery resources in the Mediterranean Sea
- Different Principles for defining selectivity under the future TM regulation (STECF-12-20)
- Different Principles for defining selectivity under the future TM regulation (STECF-13-04)