About the Pericles 2020 programme
The Pericles 2020 programme funds staff exchanges, seminars, trainings and studies for law enforcement and judicial authorities, banks and others involved in combating euro-counterfeiting. Actions can take place in the euro area, in EU countries outside the euro area and in third countries. Since 2015 applications by all EU Member States' competent authorities can be introduced to receive co-financing. The DG ECFIN can also initiate actions to complement Member States' initiatives. The Pericles 2020 programme dedicates a bit more than € 7,3 million for the implementation of the programme, for the period between 1 January 2014 and 31 December 2020.
Aim and objectives
The aim of the Programme is to prevent and combat counterfeiting and related fraud, thus enhancing the competitiveness of the Union's economy and securing the sustainability of public finances. The specific objective of the Programme is to protect euro banknotes and coins against counterfeiting and related fraud, by supporting and supplementing the measures undertaken by the Member States and assisting the competent national and Union authorities in their efforts to develop among themselves and with the Commission a close and regular cooperation and an exchange of best practice, where appropriate including third countries and international organisations.
'Mid-term Evaluation under Article 13 (4) of the 'Pericles 2020' Regulation
What assistance is available?
The technical, scientific and operational support provided by Pericles takes two forms:
- grants – co-financing for specific projects proposed by the relevant national authorities in response to its calls for proposals. This includes:
- exchange and dissemination of information, in particular through organising workshops, meetings and seminars, including training, targeted placements and exchanges of staff of competent national authorities and other similar actions
- technical, scientific and operational assistance, as appears necessary as part of the Programme
- grants to finance the purchase of equipment to be used by specialised anti-counterfeiting authorities of third countries for protecting the euro against counterfeiting.
- projects initiated by the Commission – transnational conferences, training and workshops, in EU countries and outside the EU.
Who is eligible?
Bodies eligible for funding under the Programme shall be the competent national authorities as defined in point (b) of Article 2 of Regulation (EC) No 1338/2001.
Pericles primarily provides assistance to:
- national law enforcement agencies, national central banks and issuing institutions and judicial authorities in the public sector and
- commercial banks, money exchange offices and the cash-operated industry in the private sector.
Past grants & projects
In previous years, Pericles has funded training seminars, workshops and conferences, staff exchanges, operational cross-border activities, scientific studies and the development of technical support tools and educational materials. For a complete list of the projects financed in previous years please follow the links below.
- Pericles Programme 2018
- Pericles Programme 2017
- Pericles Programme 2016
- Pericles Programme 2015
- Pericles Programme 2014
- Pericles Programme 2013
- Pericles Programme 2012
- Pericles Programme 2011
- Pericles Programme 2010
- Pericles Programme 2009
- Pericles Programme 2008
- Pericles Programme 2007
- Pericles Programme 2006
- Pericles Programme 2005
- Pericles Programme 2004
- Pericles Programme 2003
- Pericles Programme 2002
How to apply?
Grant agreement documents
Contact us at ECFIN-PERICLES@ec.europa.eu