- Report from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council on the implementation of macro-financial assistance to third countries in 2017 (Pg 6)
- Commission Staff Working document background analysis per beneficiary country accompanying the document report from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council on the implementation of macro-financial assistance to third countries in 2017 (Pg 12-14)
- 2018 Association Implementation Report on Moldova
Following a request by the Republic of Moldova, the European Commission adopted on 13 January 2017 a proposal for a Macro-Financial Assistance (MFA) programme of up to EUR 100 million, out of which up to EUR 40 million would be provided in grants and up to EUR 60 million in medium-term loans at favourable financing conditions. The new assistance is to be disbursed in three instalments and to complement the country’s IMF programme, approved on 7 November 2016.
The Decision providing macro-financial assistance to the Republic of Moldova was adopted by the European Parliament and the Council on 13 September 2017 and entered into force on 23 September.
All disbursements under the programme are tied to the political pre-conditions for MFA regarding the respect of democratic mechanisms, the rule of law and human rights, as well as to Moldova's track record under the IMF programme and the fulfilment of the specific policy conditions laid down in the Memorandum of Understanding. On 24 November 2017, the Commission, on behalf of the EU, and the Moldovan authorities signed the Memorandum of Understanding, which includes measures in areas such as public governance, financial sector governance, energy sector reforms and tackling corruption.
- Memorandum of Understanding between the European Union and the Republic of Moldova for Macro-Financial Assistance of up to EUR 100 million (November 2017)
- Decision (EU) 2017/1565 of the European Parliament and of the Council on providing macro-financial assistance to the Republic of Moldova (September 2017)
- Commission proposal to provide macro-financial assistance of up to EUR 100 million to the Republic of Moldova (January 2017)
- Ex-ante evaluation statement accompanying the Commission proposal (January 2017)
A previous MFA to the Republic of Moldova, amounting to EUR 90 million, all in grants, was successfully disbursed in three tranches in December 2010, September 2011 and April 2012.
- Commission proposal to provide macro-financial assistance of up to EUR 90 million to the Republic of Moldova (June 2010)
- Decision of the European Parliament and of the Council providing macro-financial assistance to the Republic of Moldova (October 2010)
- Memorandum of Understanding between the EU and the Moldovan authorities (December 2010)
- Ex-post Evaluation of the EU’s Macro Financial Assistance to Moldova (October 2013)
- Executive Summary of the Ex-post Evaluation (October 2013)
Related EU Policies and Activities
The links below provide additional information on EU-Moldova relations: