Your consumer rights
EU rules on consumer credit are designed to strengthen your consumer rights and to help you make an informed choice if you sign up to a credit agreement.
Before you sign an agreement, the lender must
- give you standardised information to make it easy for you to compare offers
- tell you the annual percentage rate of charge (APR) – this tells you the total cost of the credit
You can cancel the agreement within 14 days of signing. You can also repay the loan or credit at any time.
EU consumer credit law
- Directive 2011/90/EU (pdf) sets out rules on calculating the APR
- Report on implementing the Consumer credit Directive, 2014 (pdf)
- Directive 2008/48/EC on consumer credit agreements (pdf)