Know your rights
The right to marry and the right to found a family shall be guaranteed in accordance with the national laws governing the exercise of these rights.
This right is enshrined in article 9 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights.
What to do if your rights have been breached
The authorities of EU countries are bound to comply with the Charter of fundamental rights only when implementing EU law. Fundamental rights are protected by your country's constitution.
Chapter 2 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights is on freedoms. This chapter also contains the following rights
- right to liberty and security
- respect for private and family life
- protection of personal data
- right to marry and right to found a family
- freedom of thought, conscience and religion
- freedom of expression and information
- freedom of assembly and of association
- freedom of the arts and sciences
- right to education
- freedom to choose an occupation and right to engage in work
- freedom to conduct a business
- right to property
- right to asylum
- protection in the event of removal, expulsion or extradition