The works of a new 100 km electricity line connecting the Bulgarian cities of Dobrudja and Burgas, supported by the EU's Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) for Energy programme, were started today. The new line will reinforce the Bulgarian electricity network and enhance the security of supply to households in the region.
The Action, which is financed under the 2016 CEF Energy call for proposals and contributes to the implementation of Project of Common Interest 3.8.1 "Cluster Bulgaria—Romania capacity increase", receives a maximum EU co-financing of €29,587,500 and supports the construction of an overhead electricity line with a power capacity of 1,500 MW at a voltage of 400 kV. This project, once completed, will ultimately reinforce the Bulgarian internal grid, enhance the cross-border transfer capacity between Romania and Bulgaria, and allow the large-scale integration of new renewable energy sources in the Black Sea Corridor.
Today's ceremony, hosted by Elektroenergien Sistemen Operator, which saw the presence of representatives from the Bulgarian Ministry for Energy, the municipality of Burgas and INEA, among others, is a significant step towards improving the performance of the electrical grid in the region to ensure final customers can benefit from secure, competitive, and sustainable energy.
CEF Energy Actions selected for funding specifically contribute to:
• Ending energy isolation
• Increasing competitiveness by promoting the integration on the internal energy market and the interoperability of electricity and gas networks across borders
• Enhancing the Union's security of supply
• Integrating energy from renewable sources and developing smart energy networks
• Eliminating energy bottlenecks
• Completion of the internal energy market
• Contributing to sustainable development and protection of the environment, inter alia by the integration of energy from renewable sources and by the development of smart energy networks and cross-border carbon dioxide networks
Follow INEA on Twitter
and on our website for up to date information on this project and more.