Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to study in Cyprus? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To carry out seasonal work in Cyprus, you must have:
  • an entry permit for the purposes of employment; and
  • a temporary residence and employment permit.

Seasonal workers may be employed for a period of up to four months, extendable by a further four months



Where and how to apply Application for employment

Initially the employer applies to the District Labour Offices of the Department of Labour- Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance with a job vacancy. A labour market test is carried out to evaluate whether there are no suitably qualified local or European workers to fill the particular job vacancy.

If the job vacancy is not filled then the employer may submit an application for a non-EU national. When a positive answer by the Labour Department has been secured, specified employment contracts are signed and stamped.

Entry permit for the purpose of employment

Following the above, the employer submits an application for an entry permit for the non-EU national to the Civil Registry and Migration Department, through the District Aliens and Immigration Units of the Police.

You must:
  • undergo a medical examination;
  • present a certificate of criminal record;
  • present a valid passport;
  • accompany your application with an employment contract duly stamped by the Labour Office.
Your employer must also provide reasonable accommodation and a bank guarantee in case you are repatriated.
Duration of validity of permits Your employment and residence permit is granted for up to four months and can be extended by a further four months.
Appeals You can challenge decisions related to your residence and employment permit before the Supreme Court.
Further information More on working in Cyprus

More on applying for a job

More on visas


Change of employment Permits are tied to a specific employer. You can change employment only if the former employer issues a release to that effect or according to a decision after investigation of a labour dispute. A new employment contract must be signed and stamped by the Labour Office.