Victims of terrorism (both people who have been targets of an attack and those who have lost a relative) are involuntary experts on the harm and suffering caused by violent extremism.
The RAN VoT Working Group's chief objective is to maintain the network of organisations of victims of terrorism and to organise remembrance ceremonies each year on 11 March, the European Day of Remembrance of Victims of Terrorism.
Furthermore, RAN VoT will transmit the voices of the victims of terrorism as part of prevention efforts to counter radicalisation.
This handbook is a compilation of experiences shared during the RAN VVT meetings held from 2012 to 2015. All victims, victim organisations, practitioners and experts present at these meetings contributed to this handbook.
Handbook: Voices of victims of terrorism (also available in: Albanian | Macedonian | Serbian.)
The 16th European Remembrance Day for Victims of Terrorism
The Choir of the lycée Racine (from Paris) sang "Va pensiero, Nabucco" from Giuseppe Verdi, at 16th European Remembrance Day for Victims of Terrorism that took place on 11 March 2020, in Paris.
Tomas Frága’s testimony – a second chance to live
RAN met Tomas Frága, a survivor of the 2005 terrorist attack in Sharm el-Sheik. He has made a conscious decision not to be defined by what happened to him on that day.
Meet a RAN Practitioner #11 – Guillaume Denoix de Saint-Marc
Following RAN activities and Working Group meetings, an ex-post paper highlights lessons learned, insights and follow-up initiatives.
- RAN VoT and C&N Conclusions How to involve victims of terrorism in a prevention campaign, online meeting 11 June 2020
- RAN RVT & RAN EXIT The role of restorative justice in preventing and responding to violent extremism, Dublin 03-04 December 2019 (also available in French and German)
- RAN RVT VIIIth International Congress for Victims of Terrorism, Nice 21-23 November 2019
- RAN RVT The role of victims in strengthening social cohesion after a period of violence, Bilbao 20-21 June 2019 (also available in French and German)
- RAN RVT Evaluating the impact of testimonies by victims of terrorism, Prague 10-11 April 2019
- RAN RVT Delivering Effective Testimonials, Amsterdam 20-21 September 2018 (also available in French and German)
- RAN RVT Checklist Shaping your testimonial, Amsterdam 20-21 September 2018 (also available in French and German)
- RAN RVT & RAN EDU Building resilience in the classroom using testimonials from victims and formers, Madrid 24-25 May 2018
- Enhancing the resilience of victims after terrorist attacks, March 2018 (also available in French and German).
- RAN RVT ‘The power of victims of terrorism: how to give support’, Berlin 12-13 September 2017
Working Group leaders:
- Ana Isabel Rodríguez Cordero, Spain
- Philippe Vansteenkiste, Belgium
For the Working Groups contact points, please see the contacts page