The Statistical Office of the European Union within the European Commission.
1. Eurostat was established in 1953.
2. Its task is to provide the European Union with statistics at European level that enable comparisons between countries and regions.
3. The EMN cooperates with Eurostat by harmonising statistics from the European Statistical System (ESS) to a single methodology, making the statistics comparable.
4. Regulation (EC) No 862/2007 (Migration Statistics Regulation) establishes common rules for the collection and compilation of Community statistics (for submission to Eurostat) on:
(a) immigration and emigration flows;
(b) citizenship and country of birth of persons usually resident in the territory of the EU Member States;
c) administrative and judicial procedures and processes in the EU Member States relating to immigration, granting of permission to reside, citizenship, asylum and other forms of international protection and prevention of irregular migration .
5. For more information, see the website of Eurostat