Migration and Home Affairs

Public Consultations

Deadline: 
Tuesday, 29 September, 2020 to Wednesday, 30 December, 2020
Title: 
Public consultation on the future of EU legal migration

More information can be found on the Commission's Public Consultation website.

Policy field(s)

Home Affairs; Legal Migration

Target group(s)

Through this consultation, the Commission seeks to gather input from a broad range of stakeholders involved in the formulation and implementation of legal migration policies. This includes national, regional and local authorities, civil society organisations, social and economic partners, businesses, academia, migrant organisations and private individuals. Given the importance of international cooperation in managing legal migration, input is also welcome from the same range of stakeholders in non-EU countries.

Period of consultation

From 23/09/2020 to 30/12/2020

Objective of the consultation

In its New Pact on Migration and Asylum, the European Commission announced a number of new measures to attract skills and talent to the EU. This public consultation aims to identify areas where the EU framework on legal migration could be further improved, including through possible new legislation. It also invites stakeholders to propose new ideas to boost the EU’s attractiveness, facilitate skills matching, and better protect labour migrants from exploitation. The results of this consultation will help the Commission to decide what other initiatives are needed to address the long-term challenges in this area

Responding to the questionnaire

The response period for this consultation has ended. The questionnaire is no longer available. You can track further progress of this initiative by subscribing to receive notifications.

View the contributions

The online public consultation on the future of EU legal migration received a total of 226 responses. In addition, 38 written contributions were received from 36 organisations and 1 Non-EU citizen. Just over half of the respondents answered as organisations (54% or 121 responses out of all responses), while the rest of the respondents (46% or 105 responses) answered as individuals. From those who responded as organisations, the main types of organisations were non-governmental organisations (34%) and public authorities (24%). Out of the total 105 responses received from individuals, 85% were EU citizens, and 15% were non-EU citizens.

For those participants who agreed that their contribution could be published anonymously an Excel file is available with the anonymized data. The contributions of participants who did not agree to the publication of results were not published. They will, however, be taken into account when analysing the results of the public consultation.

The contributions and the synthesis report can be consulted on the Commission's Public Consultation website.

Results of consultation and next steps

Responses to this questionnaire were processed with the support of an external contractor and included in a synopsis report.

The report of the results of the public consultation is now available.