The body of common rights and obligations that is binding on all EU Member States and that is constantly evolving, which comprises:
- the content, principles and political objectives of the Treaties;
- legislation adopted pursuant to the Treaties and the case law of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) ;
- declarations and resolutions adopted by the European Union;
- instruments under the Common Foreign and Security Policy;
- instruments under Justice and Home Affairs;
- international agreements concluded by the European Union and those entered into by its Member States among themselves within the sphere of the Union’s activities.
The term is used in the context of asylum and migration and refers to all rights and obligations that are binding on EU Member States with regard to asylum and migration.