Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR)
The Committee provides opinions on emerging or newly-identified health and environmental risks and on broad, complex or multidisciplinary issues requiring a comprehensive assessment of risks to consumer safety or public health and related issues not covered by other Community risk assessment bodies.
Potential areas of activity include:
- antimicrobial resistance
- new technologies (e.g. nanotechnologies)
- medical devices including those incorporating substances of animal/human origin
- physical hazards (e.g. noise, electromagnetic fields)
- tissue engineering
- blood products
- fertility reduction
- cancer of endocrine organs
- interaction of risk factors, synergic effects, cumulative effects
- methodologies for assessing new risks
It may also be invited to address risks related to public health determinants and non-transmissible diseases.
• Members can be contacted via the Secretariat.
The committee usually produces its reports in response to a specific request.
Opinions and statements
Opinions in plain language
For some opinions – of direct relevance to the public – a plain-language version is produced for non-specialists.
• Agenda and minutes of working group meetings
• Rules of procedure of the Scientific Committees
• the stakeholder dialogue procedure is set out in Annex IV of that document.
SANTE-C2-SCENIHR AT ec.europa.eu
Former Scientific Committees