Public consultation on BPA in clothing articles
Public consultation on the preliminary Opinion
on the safety of presence of BPA in clothing articles
The European Commission and its Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS) publish today the preliminary Opinion on the safety of presence of BPA in clothing articles.
Interested parties are invited to submit comments on the scientific evidence online before 07 December 2020.
The Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety is kindly requested to provide a scientific opinion on “The safety of the presence of BPA in clothing articles”. The main purpose of the scientific opinion is to provide scientific support to assist the Commission in assessing the risk of the presence of BPA in clothing articles and the potential need for legislative amendments in the chemicals legislation and/or enforcement measures under the General Product Safety Directive.
In particular, the SCCS is asked to:
- To review the available data on the presence and activity of Bisphenol A in clothing articles, taking into consideration the adopted opinions on tolerable intake limits and the legislative framework in other products (food contact materials, toys and printed paper)
- To determine whether the exposure levels to BPA due to the use of clothing articles raises health concerns for consumers and, if possible, to provide indications on limit values for BPA content/release from clothing articles
- To identify whether vulnerable consumers such as infants and young children (who might put such articles in their mouth) or pregnant women are in particular risk. On the basis of the risk assessment, could it be indicated what level of exposure to BPA from textiles can be accepted in such groups.
In line with the Stakeholder Dialogue Procedures (Annex V to the Rules of Procedures of the Scientific Committees), the Scientific Committees are now seeking feedback from the scientific community and stakeholders on this preliminary Opinion.
All interested parties are invited to submit written comments on the preliminary Opinion by 7 December 2020 in view of gathering specific comments, suggestions, explanations or contributions on the scientific basis of the Opinion, as well as any other scientific information regarding the questions addressed, to enable the Scientific Committee to focus on issues that need to be further investigated.
An electronic template provided with the documents should be used exclusively for the submission of comments, with reference made to the line and page numbers. Please note that comments submitted by email or post cannot be taken into account.
As stated in the Rules of Procedures (Annex V), a submission will not be considered if:
- it is submitted after the deadline set out in the call,
- it is presented in any other form than the template provided,
- it exceeds the maximum length indicated for each section, or contains comments which do not correspond to the indicated title of that particular section,
- it contains information on individual cases or any other material not included in published report,
- it contains complaints against institutions, personal accusations or irrelevant or offensive statements or material. Complaints should be made according to the existing procedures,
- it is related to policy or risk management aspects.
The Scientific Committee will assess all comments from interested parties which are submitted in line with the criteria above and will take them into consideration if they are found relevant.
The European Commission reserves the right to publish all comments received on the Scientific Committees' website. Please read the Privacy statement before submitting comments.
(deadline: 07 December 2020 23:59 CET)