Call for information
Call for Information - The potential risks to human health of Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
The Scientific Committee on Health, Environmental and Emerging Risks (SCHEER) has received a request to assess the safety risks associated with the use of LEDs.
Scope of the call for information:
This call for information is being launched according to the stakeholders dialogue procedures laid down in the Rules of procedure of the Scientific Committees.
The objective of this call for information is to ensure that all relevant scientific information is available to the Scientific Committee for its assessment.
Interested parties are invited to submit any relevant information that could assist the scientific committee with the assessment of safety risks associated to the use of Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs), in particular data related to:
1. market penetration of the products: which devices are currently in use (using LEDs), type of LED (blue, red, green, white), as well as the number of these devices in the European market;
2. potential health hazards associated with LEDs emission in the general population with regard to wavelength, intensity, duration and viewing position;
3. dose response relationship associated with LEDs emission in the general population with regard to wavelength, intensity, duration and viewing position;
4. potential health risks associated with LED displays (e.g., TV sets, laptops, phones, toys and car lighting) in the general population and in vulnerable and susceptible populations (e.g., children and elderly people);
5. potential health risks associated with LED lamps (e.g., toys and car lighting) in the general population and in vulnerable and susceptible populations (e.g., children and elderly people).
Interested parties are invited to submit the following information:
1) Scientific peer-reviewed research papers and reviews concerning the topics mentioned above;
2) Other publicly available scientific information that may not be easily accessible and which is directly relevant to this issue.
Studies will be considered by the SCHEER following the criteria defined by the "Memorandum on the use of the scientific literature for human health risk assessment purposes – weighing of evidence and expression of uncertainty"
Only submissions directly related to the call and complying with its specifications will be considered.
Submission of information:
All information should be submitted in electronic form to SANTE-C2-SCHEER@ec.europa.eu specifying “Call for Information - The potential risks to human health of Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)” in the subject line of the e-mail.
All information is considered public unless otherwise stated by the provider.
A document on guidelines for submission of contributions, containing criteria for the call for information and guidance for submission can be found here.
The deadline for submitting information is 30 September 2016, 23:59. However the call for information will remain open also after this date and additional studies (e.g. on-going studies and research that are not completed by the deadline) may be passed to the working group at a later stage, if needed.
More information about SCHEER and the other Scientific Committees of the European Commission can be found here.