To support EU policy on rare diseases, the Commission expert group on rare diseases may:
- assist the Commission in the drawing up of legal instruments and policy documents, including guidelines and recommendations;
- advise the Commission in the implementation of Union actions and suggest improvements to the measures taken;
- advise the Commission in the monitoring, evaluation and dissemination of the results of measures taken at Union and national level;
- advise the Commission on international cooperation;
- provide an overview on Union and national policies;
- foster exchanges of relevant experience, policies and practices between the Member States and the various parties involved.