Board of Member States
The Board of Member States, as laid out in the European Commission implementing decision, was set up on 5 February 2014.
The main tasks of the Board are:
- Approval of Network proposals and healthcare providers' membership applications
- Approval of healthcare providers wishing to join an existing Network
- Termination of a Network (evaluation)
- Decision on loss of membership
Functioning of the Board
- Rules of procedure governing the board
- Members represent EU countries and EEA (Maximum two representatives per country)
- Co-chaired by the European Commission and a representative of the Members elected by the Board for a two-year period
- The current co-chairs of the Board are Austria (Prof. Till Voigtländer) and Commission (Dr Andrzej Rys; Director of DG SANTE Directorate B)
Meetings and key documents
- Outcomes and decisions taken by the Board are reflected in the minutes of the meetings
- Strategic thinking on the ERN implementation
- Strategic view on ERN Affiliated Partners
- Statement on the definition and minimum criteria for ERN Affiliated Partners
- Statement on European Reference Networks (ERNs) and industry
EU National Strategies
A number of EU countries have clear policies and criteria for managing rare, low prevalence or complex diseases, others are currently in the process of deciding on their approach, and how this approach could be linked to the ERNs.
The information below outlines the national criteria or systems used to approve Centres of Expertise, and other possible highly specialised services. These national strategies should help to promote ERNs at national level, and to facilitate the exchange of best practices among EU countries.