Many challenges in advancing digital health and care can only be tackled at national and regional level (reimbursement issues, for instance), but coordination at EU level helps ensure a coherent approach.
EU coordination is particularly useful in ensuring patient safety, political leadership, the involvement of health professionals and mutually comprehensible terminology. In parallel, EU support for projects ensures that policy making is informed by the latest developments and information from the field.
Key EU eHealth initiatives
- EU measures to promote ICT in healthcare
- ICT Standardisation Work Programme
- Health research programme
- EU Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (IPTS)
- Project Database: eTen – trans-European e-services in the public interest
- Medical devices – EU support for development and innovation
- European health insurance card