The design of the Regional Innovation Smart Specialisation Strategy (RIS3) was carried out in 2012-13 following the request of the European Commission. It was based on an assessment of the outcomes of the previous RIS, thematic studies and on a large consultation of innovation stakeholders on the territory. One specific objective of the RIS3 is to include in its governance, all entities playing a part in the regional innovation system, including competitiveness poles, clusters, Acceleration and technology transfer entities (SATT), users, trade unions, associations, etc. Focus shall be given to a better transition from knowledge to product, or service, and to a better coordination and connections between policy makers, innovation funders and stakeholders.
The RIS3 2014-2020 of the region Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur has two major guidelines:
1. The creation of value and employment through the development of five strategic domains :
- Energy transition;
- Smart and sustainable mobility;
- Risks, security and safety;
- Health and Food;
- Tourism, cultural industries and digital content.
2. The support of companies' growth through a strengthened regional innovation ecosystem.
This guideline focuses especially on:
- supporting the high potential innovative companies' growth from creation to internationalisation
- strengthening the regional innovation ecosystem: fostering the cooperation among the actors and improving the governance of the regional system.
- promoting a new business model and a new mode of entrepreneurship through social innovation