At national level, The Ministry of Economy, Industry and Digital Technology launched in April 2015 the « Industry of the Future » Initiative which capitalises the outcomes of the 34 plans selected in 2013 for the « New Industrial France » and concentrates them into nine market sectors to reinforce sectorial integration and to foster cooperation between the actors in order to conquer new markets at global level.
The Initiative “Industry of the Future” was built on the model of one of the 34 previous plans of the “New Industrial France” strategy called “Factory of the Future”. The objective of this plan was to support investments in factories in order to make them more environmentally friendly, smarter, more digital and closer to their ecosystems. The Regional authorities were in charge of financing 2,000 to 3,000 industrial diagnoses for SMEs and medium-sized companies. Bpifrance provided a selection of these companies with “Factory of the Future” loans:
- Green loans: investment for energy efficiency and environmental protection (€340m);
- Robot loans: investment for the integration of automation equipment such as robot (€300m);
- Industrialisation loans: investment for post R&D project expenditures (€270m);
- Digital loans: investment for digitalisation of factories.
The Regional Council of Aquitaine was in charge of selecting the most promising SMEs and medium-sized companies that could benefit from these investments.
The new 2015 « Industry of The Future » strategy now concentrates the policy action into the following nine goals:
- New resources: recycled and bio-based material for all the industries
- Sustainable cities with an efficient use of resources from the producer to the consumer
- Sustainable mobility; cheaper, freer, safer, more environment-friendly
- Future Transportation - more environment-friendly and competitive
- Smart food: Safer, sustainable and exportable.
- Data economics – Better monitoring and valorisation of data in firms and public services
- Smart objects – Use of the Internet of things to improve the everyday life.
- Digital trust – A safer digital environment for firms and individuals
- Future Healthcare – A more efficient healthcare itinerary based on medical and digital innovation
It will be implemented in the region under the monitoring of specialised strategic chain committees. In the region Aquitaine, the committees in presence are centred on agribusiness, aerospace, wood and chemistry.
The Aquitaine region came up with an ambitious roadmap for strengthening the productivity of its industrial fabric. This project aims at improving business productivity by working on three levers: production tools (modernisation, equipment, automation, integration of information technology and communication), industrial organisation (productivity, quality, flexibility), staff training and improved working conditions (versatility, ergonomics, staff and management involvement). “A competitive business focused on the human factor” is one of the 11 areas of smart specialisation selected by the Region.