The Entrepreneurship 2020 Action Plan provides the political impetus for COSME. It is a call for joint action at European, national, regional, and local level.
There are three main areas in the Action Plan:
- Entrepreneurship education – COSME will facilitate exchanges between educators and trainers to support best practice in entrepreneurship education in the EU.
- Improving the business environment so entrepreneurs can grow and flourish – together with improving the legal and fiscal environment, experts will develop recommendations on the best ways to support businesses throughout their lifecycle. Specific support for web entrepreneurs is also foreseen as part of the programme.
- Role models and outreach to specific groups – under COSME, groups such as young people, women, and senior entrepreneurs will be able to benefit from mentoring or other tailored programmes.
Examples of actions already supported by COSME include:
- The European Network of Mentors for Women Entrepreneurs provides advice and support to women entrepreneurs in the start-up, running, and growth of businesses during their early years (2nd to 4th year of business).
- Erasmus for Young Entrepreneurs helps new entrepreneurs (not necessarily young in years, but in the age of their businesses) by offering them an opportunity to learn from a more experienced host entrepreneur in another country. In return, the host benefits from a fresh perspective on his or her business.