The Seventh Framework Programme (FP7) encouraged the development of new concepts in space transportation and space technologies. It also aimed to reduce the vulnerability of space-based systems and services.
Through FP7, the EU financed research and development activities to:
A budget of EUR 1.4 billion was allocated in FP7 for space-related projects. From this amount, 85% went to Copernicus and the remaining 15% was used to support space science and exploration, space transportation, and space technology. The ESA received a specific grant of about EUR 700 million from the FP7 Copernicus budget.
A total of 262 space projects have been supported by FP7: 19 projects in the 1st call, 27 in the 2nd call, 77 in the 3rd call, 33 in the 4th call, 50 in the 5th call, and 56 in the 6th call.