- Vision on defence related skills for Europe today and tomorrow (2018) – The report presents the European defence industrial skills landscape and highlighting the skills needed in future, while identifies the defence market dynamics and technological development trends shaping these requirements. It also identifies the defence-related skills gaps and shortages, as well as highlights challenges with different sets of skills, in different defence domains and across the stages of the defence equipment life cycle.
- Raw Materials in the European Defence Industry (2016) – This study identifies the raw materials used in the European defence industry and contributes to better understanding of the importance of materials supply for the defence value chain.
- Study on State Control of Strategic Defence Assets (2 MB), with Annex (3 MB, 2010) – This study examined the current practice of State control of strategic defence assets, developed options for a European dimension of this control, evaluated the options, and recommended a course of action.
- Study on the industrial implications in Europe of the blurring of dividing lines between security and defence (2 MB) (2010) – This study examines the industrial challenges caused by the perceived eroding of distinctions between the defence and security sectors.
- Impact of Emerging Defence Markets and Competitors on the Competitiveness of the European Defence Sector (2010) – This study examines developments in key emerging defence markets, and their current and potential impact on the competitiveness of the European defence sector.
- Development of a European Defence Technological Industrial Base (1 MB), with Annex (627 KB) (2009) – This study examines the existing structure of the European defence industry, evolution and the main drivers for change.
- The Nature and Impacts of Barriers to Trade with the United States for European Defence Industries (4 MB) (2009) This study examines the current transatlantic defence trade and the various strategies used by EU countries and industry to facilitate it.
- Competitiveness of European SMEs in the defence sector (2009) Report (2 MB) and Executive Summary (69 KB) – This report examines the industrial landscape; carries out an assessment of the factors affecting the competitiveness of defence-related SMEs; and provides recommendations on ways to improve prospects for SMEs.
Group of personalities
In 2015 key personalities from European industry, government, the European Parliament and academia advised the Commission on establishing a preparatory action on research related to the common security and defence policy (CSDP). This group of personalities made recommendations for a long-term vision on EU-funded CSDP-related research to boost European defence cooperation. These recommendations address the overall scope and governance of future EU-funded CSDP research as well as highlight possible collaboration and coordination mechanisms. The overarching goal of the preparatory action and CSDP-related research was to create a framework that would facilitate a collaborative approach to defence among the EU countries.