Members of the EPAA and governance.
EPAA project platform mandate and governance, ongoing projects, and completed projects.
Winners of the Refinement Prize and the 3Rs Science Prize, and 3Rs student grants.
Information and reports from the European Partnership for Alternative Approaches to Animal Testing annual conferences.
EPAA events, partners' forum, collaboration for training in non-animal methods in China, and alternative methods video tutorials.
The European Partnership for Alternative Approaches to Animal Testing (EPAA) aims to replace animal testing by innovative, non-animal testing methods, to reduce the number of animals used and to refine procedures where no alternatives exist or are not sufficient to ensure the safety of substances (the '3R principle'). The partners are pooling knowledge and resources to accelerate the development, validation and acceptance of alternative approaches at national, European and global levels.
The EPAA seeks to bridge the knowledge gap and to facilitate coordination and cooperation via its partners and project platform. It promotes the results via its various European and international activities and events, its annual conference and via its awards and grants that are particularly addressed to young scientists.
Watch the video on the EPAA
EPAA is on Twitter and LinkedIn
News and highlights
- New: EPAA Annual Conference Report 2021
- Update: Annual Conference 2021 page - presentations, video, Refinement prize winner, conference report
- New: EPAA Annual Report 2021
- Update: Annual conference 2020 page - Science Prize winner
- Two new companies become EPAA partners
- Milestone in animal testing alternatives for chemicals inducing contact allergy
- 2021 Refinement Prize published - Applications closed
- 3 Rs student 2021 grants published - Applications closed
- Leaflet:15 years pf public-private partnership: EPAA achievements
- Publication:Mechanistic approaches for assessing cancer risk of agrochemicals
- Next EPAA action programme adopted
- List of all EPAA publications
- Report from EPAA Partners Forum 2019 on skin sensitisation potency assessment
- Scientific article on animal-free test methods in COVID-19 research
- Non-animal derived antibodies: Ground-breaking recommendation by EURL-ECVAM
- Status report on alternatives by EURL-ECVAM
- EU statistics and implementation report on animals in science
About the EPAA
History and rationale
Launched in November 2005 with the support of European Commissioners Verheugen and Potocnik, the EPAA began operations in 2006. It completed a first mandate of 5 years by the end of 2010.
Due to the encouraging results of the EPAA's projects, the mandate has been renewed for 5-year terms since. Priorities of the second mandate included integrated testing strategies (lead theme 2011), and international collaboration on 3Rs (lead theme 2012-2013).
The new action programme 2021-2025 (92 kB) focuses on facilitating regulatory acceptance.
The vision of EPAA is the replacement, reduction and refinement (3Rs) of animal use for meeting regulatory requirements through better and more predictive science.
The EPAA vision and mission paper (340 kB)
Previous annual conferences
We value your privacy. See the EPAA privacy statement on the protection of your personal data.
Disclaimer: This webpage contains information on past events, such as agendas of annual meetings or workshops, which may contain the names of speakers. If your name is mentioned and you would like us to remove it, please contact GROW-EPAA@ec.europa.eu.