Progress report and status report
In accordance with the CARS 21 communication, the Commission issues an annual working paper on the major automotive-related regulatory developments and activities at the world forum for harmonisation of vehicle regulations of the UNECE. In addition, the Commission publishes an annual status report on EU accession to UN regulations in the area of vehicle approval.
The global technical regulations
The global technical regulations are developed under the 1998 international agreement on vehicle construction to which the EU is a contracting party. The regulations cover the approval of vehicles' safety and environmental aspects. They are managed by the world forum for harmonization of vehicle regulations, a permanent working party of the UNECE. The Commission and EU countries take part in the technical preparatory work of the forum and the Commission exercises the right to vote in the Forum on behalf of the EU.
Translation of UN regulations
The UN regulations, which are applicable under EU law, must be translated into all official EU languages and published in the Official Journal of the European Union. Status table of the translations
- Published on 21 June 2021
- UN Regulation No 160 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of motor vehicles with regard to the event data recorder
- Published on 25 May 2021
- UN Regulation No 158 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of devices for reversing motion and motor vehicles with regard to the driver’s awareness of vulnerable road users behind vehicles
- UN Regulation No 159 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of motor vehicles with regard to the moving off information system for the detection of pedestrians and cyclists
- Published on 9 March 2021
- UN Regulation No 153 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to fuel system integrity and safety of electric power train in the event of a rear-end collision
- UN Regulation No 155 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regards to cybersecurity and cybersecurity management system
- UN Regulation No 156 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regards to software update and software updates management
- UN Regulation No 157 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regards to automated lane keeping systems