In this section you will find information on the EU legislation and UNECE regulations regarding the automotive industry.
Summaries of EU legislation related to motor vehicles
Summaries of EU legislation are short, easy-to-understand explanations of the main legal acts passed by the EU – intended for a general, non-specialist audience.
Motor vehicles, their trailers, systems and components
- Directives and regulations on motor vehicles, their trailers, systems and components
- Regulation (EU) 2018/858 on the approval and market surveillance of motor vehicles and their trailers, and of systems, components and separate technical units intended for such vehicles
Two- and three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles
- Directives and regulations on two- and three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles
- Regulation (EU) No 168/2013 on the approval and market surveillance of two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles
- Directives and regulations on tractors
- Regulation (EU) No 167/2013 on the approval and market surveillance of agricultural and forestry vehicles
Non-road mobile machinery emissions
- Regulations on non-road mobile machinery emissions
- Regulation (EU) 2016/1628 on requirements relating to gaseous and particulate pollutant emission limits and type-approval for internal combustion engines for non-road mobile machinery
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) legislation aims to establish a global market for vehicles while ensuring a high level of environmental protection and safety.
More on UNECE regulations.
To prepare legislation, the Commission regularly initiates studies on various aspects of the automotive industry.